Five years ago today, my beloved husband journeyed on to Glory.
So much has changed in that time…yet so much has stayed the same.
When Keith died:
- there were no IPads and the IPhone was brand new
- we had not had an African American president
- Osama Bin Laden was still at large
- Haiti had not been severely damaged by an earthquake and Japan had not suffered a tsunami
- we had not suffered a good-sized earthquake in Northern Virginia
- Kosovo had not declared itself an independent country and been recognized as such
- Facebook, Twitter, and blogs were not commonly used by everyone and did not provide a major vehicle for communication
- the housing market was slipping but had not crashed
In our own family:
- I was still taller than all of my children
- we did not have a dog at all, much less two
- Jackson and Tanner could not read
- Alex did not play guitar and had no interest in being in the praise band
- we were not out for much of anything past 7:30 at night
- I did not get up at 5:00 to spend precious quiet time with Jesus every morning
- we did not have company at every holiday, and any time we could think of an occasion to have people over
Yet so many things have stayed the same:
- I am blessed and privileged to still be able to homeschool my boys
- I live in the same home, the dream home Keith so lovingly painted with all 17 paint colors I wanted
- I have friends who have stuck by me for these five years, taking care of me and the boys, from the moment Keith died until now
- Our church continues to be a home and a haven, blessing us and allowing us to bless them
- God is still God – in His heaven, in control, in my corner, in my life…each and every day, and in each and every situation
- I am His beloved daughter and by His grace I can stand – each and every day
And because of these blessings…because of this God and His love for little old me, I can have survived these five years.
And, by His grace, I will survive many more.
As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise You more and more. My mouth will tell of Your righteous deeds, of Your saving acts all day long—though I know not how to relate them all. — Psalm 71:14-15
One thought on “Five Years…Wow!”
Oh Liz. HUGS TO YOU! I'm so proud of you and I praise God for His provision and love. 🙂